Friday, March 18, 2011

Dining Week Success

Last week was Edmonton's Downtown Dining Week, finally a valid reason for me to hit some restaurants and try their menus. I only went to two restaurants: Niche and Tzin, because I was thinking on behalf of my wallet and not my tummy. But both were successes and with great food, and conversation what more can a girl ask for?

Wednesday night, me and Erika headed to Niche. I went for the 5 course for $50 and hers was the 3 course for $25.





Yellow Lentil and Braised Pork Soup

We both ordered the soup, it was a very generous portion of a big bowl of soup. The texture of the lentils along with its color reminded of this Chinese dessert pudding I ate while growing up. However it was very savory and hearty and a great way to start the meal.



Spring Creek Beef Carpaccio in a Dijon Sauce finished with fresh Parmesan



Antipasto Plate: Prepared Meats and Cheese served with complimenting condiments and preserves



Erika's main: Confit of Brome Lake Duck with Golden Mashed Potatoes and Lemon Thyme Gravy

Her duck was so tender and falling off the bone, I'm pretty sure she enjoyed the dish very much.



My main: Maple Sage Brown Buttered Salmons with Golden Mash Potatoes

Usually I don't like my meat with a sweet sauce. But after I was done with this dish, I used my knife to wipe the brown buttered sauce off my plate until there was no more. Maybe it was the brown butter sugar that enticed me but it really worked all together and gave a different and tasty element to a simple dish.



Erika's dessert: Salted Caramel Brownie with Honey Lemon Cream

Though good, it was rich and heavy after the meal we just had. The salt was also very noticeable and made a sharp contrast of flavor when usually there should just be a hint of salt.



My dessert: Chai Masala Spiced Bundt Cake

This dessert surprised me, the chai worked great in this cake and it just me wanting to finish every last bite.


Niche
11011 Jasper Ave
Edmonton, AB


Niche on Urbanspoon

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been too long since I visited Tzin and I missed the warmth of the restaurant and the delicious food the place offers. And when I found out they had a dining week menu, I knew it was one of the places I had to make time and money for. It was a great deal too: 3 tapas for $50. We had 4 people and ordered 9 tapas to share. Not only was there great, attentive service from the staff and owner, the view of the working kitchen and its aroma just added to the evening.

All in all, in was a great night. There was good conversation, laughs and entertainment from the owner himself. Thank goodness I made reservations early, the owner had to turn so many people away throughout the night. They never rushed us to finish eating, I think we spent a good solid 3 hours in there. In fact they provided us with more and attentive service which proves they focus more on quality of serive for their customer than the numbers they bring in. I glad to state it will not be my last time at Tzin.



Wild Boar Pate: served with Grilled Flatbread & Cranberry Chutney



Lobster Crostinis: Lobster with Spanish Onion, Gruyere Cheese and Sauce American



Antipasto Plate: featuring Cheese & Cured Meats



Chicken & Sausage Strudel: In a lightly Smoked Tomato Sauce, Served with Lemon and Chive Aioli

Hands down this was the winning dish of the night! Everyone raved about it and wanted more. Not only is it the perfect finger food to share and fight over but it was packed with taste and texture. The pastry was so flaky and crunchy and with the hit of flavor that came from the chicken and sausage. It was a lot coming from a triangle strudel.



New Zealand Lamb: Grilled & Served with Raspberry Vinaigrette

Little rack of lamb, doesn't it look so cute? It also tasted very good too. Usually I tend to avoid lamb because of its strong smell and distinctive taste, but this NZ lamb was way milder and was very tolerable and tasty.



Creamy Chili Prawns: Pan Seared, Finished with Cream & Warm Chilies

I just love this dish. Perfect prawns and awesome sauce. I would just love a bowl of the sauce and some bread.



Scallops with Chorizo

Hmmm, scallops. The scallops with the tasty chorizo together gave great flavor and texture.



Filet of Beef: Served with Potatoes & Lobster Cream

They were very good potatoes, and the filet of beef was also very tender and smoky in flavor.



Chocolate Cake



Lemon Tart from next door Queen of Tarts


Tzin Wine and Tapas
10115 104 Street Northwest
Edmonton, AB T5J 0Z9


Tzin Wine & Tapas on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment